A-10-year old boy, Chibuike Ogbusu, who was abducted at St. Bartholomew Cathedral Church (Anglican Communion) Kubwa, Abuja last week, has been released.
The boy was released early Sunday morning by his abductors after collecting a N1.5 m ransom.
It was learnt that the kidnappers had asked a commercial motorcyclist to take Chibuike to his family house after collecting the ransom at Dei-Dei, a few minutes’ drive from Kubwa.
Chibuike had attended the Boys Brigade’s rehearsal at the church and was about going home when he was abducted and taken to an unknown destination.
Friends and well-wishers thronged the Ogbusus’ house at Kubwa to rejoice with them on the release of Chibuike.
Looking chubby and unfazed, Chibuike seemed unconcerned about the fanfare and the numerous guests in the house as he toyed with a GSM phone.
Chibuike told PUNCH Metro that he was driven to Minna, Niger State by a lone kidnapper, adding that he was fed rice or bread twice daily.
He said he was allowed to speak with his father on the phone two days after he was abducted.
“The man (kidnapper) fed me twice a day. He gave me rice and bread and at times, potato and he allowed me to speak with my father about three times before I was released at Dawaki,( opposite Gwarimpa Estate),”he said.
Chibuike’s father, Dr. Peter Ogbusu, who was all smiles, thanked God for the safe return of his son, saying the ransom he paid did not matter as his boy was released hale and hearty.
According to him, the kidnapper had earlier demanded N10m, but the sum was negotiated to N1.5m which was dropped at a location around Dei-Dei as directed by the kidnapper.
Asked if he would allow Chibuike to attend the Boys Brigade rehearsals where he was abducted, Peter said the boy would be allowed with an escort.
“There is no way I can stop him from attending the Boys Brigade programme. I was made the vice patron of the brigade before my son joined them. He will attend the rehearsals with an escort to prevent a recurrence,” the eye doctor stated.